16 July 2010

Two Boatloads of Filthy Talk*

      As a kid I was taught that it was "gauche" to talk about money and characteristic of people who didn't know anything about money.  If you know where I come from, you can laugh at my people for using the word "gauche" ( say 'Gosh' with a long o sound-- french for left, connotes in English...awkward ).

(insert sound of record scratching here)


I have to get over it.  NOW.  Time is running out and I have to treat the grants and loans we have applied for as zeros.  I fell into that trap before...counting on being selected for something and building that into my estimate of how far we had to go.  This is the VERY LAST MINUTE.


I have been putting this off for too long.  Two things have happened, however; that have pushed me forward:  
 1)  I have been tallying the adoption expenses and found that we have put in a considerable amount of personal funds that are not accounted for in the 'schedule of fees'.  Leaving us spent,(pardon the pun) and having still a great deal of the remainder on the list and no way to estimate how the fees will change before I travel (the exchange rate is subject to shred the dollar as a result of China's stated decision to do so.  And the PRC can change the fees for each phase of the process if they want to).
2) There is a family who has an adoption blog who is just using every possible type of fundraiser and going all out.  Every post is about a new fundraiser that you can participate in. Every time I look at it I cringe because I just can't imagine talking about money like that.  But really, isn't there somewhere in between that could be right for me?
    Not too long ago, a mom, somewhere in this crazy convo we call "social networking" said, "If it's God's will, it is God's bill."   Mr. S and I have been kinking this around, and we are not sure we are allowed to grab hold of that.  It's true, but it is not Scripture, and as such has no interpretation for our situation.  We know it is God's will.  Too many things have happened along this journey for us to dare think otherwise.  Period.

I am really uncomfortable sending an invoice to God.  He knows our situation. I really feel that He is still asking me to trust Him, but sometimes that means getting in the boat.**  I have had two boats come by and I have almost let them get beyond the horizon.

We have an account through Kingdom Kids Adoption Ministries.  They are a 501(c)3 non- profit organization.  "Kingdom Kids Adoption Ministries exists to impact eternity by encouraging the body of Christ to embrace adoption and foster parenting and support adoptive and foster families."  Those who want to become involved can receive a receipt for a charitable donation for a deduction on their income taxes.  Ten percent of the total donation goes toward their administrative costs.  The rest goes to the family.  If you know anyone who is interested, have them contact me for my last name to put in the form located here.


 We also have a family fundraiser in place at Just Love Coffee.  The cutie who hung out in my side bar for a little while is from Ethiopia.  He is now on the adoption fundraiser page.  For every bag of  fair trade coffee sold, you will not just help us out, you will also be supporting an orphanage in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.  What could be better?  This. The coffee is good. The real coffee gourmets I know LOVE this coffee.  We receive $5 per bag, and our goal is to sell 1000 bags.  We have already sold 52 bags.  If you really needed any excuse to buy better coffee, here it is. Please join us here...@ Isaiah Makes Five Adoption Store . Pass the link along to anyone you think may be interested everyone you know.

There is one more thing.  If you know how to do a raffle or create a button that I can link to a paypal for a straight donation, I would appreciate help.  I have seen MANY families use these, but I have run up against a wall in my efforts to teach myself these skills that I am the last human on earth to learn.  Maybe the day care could have a field trip to come by and teach me.

Thank you, my Fabulous 44, for your prayers, support and encouragement.



*Sorry, not really.  This is my best attempt at SEO.
** There was a terrible flood and the old man was stuck on the roof of his house, and three times people came by in boats to rescue him, and three times he said, "No, God will save me."  He drowned and when he got to heaven he said, "Lord, why didn't you save me?"  God answered, "I tried.  Three times."


8 comments:

  1. I can give you the code for the button and tell you how to do it. Shoot me an email and I'll tell you how to set it up. BUT, I don't know how to link it to paypal. Someone else will have to help with that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sympathize with your discomfort of discussing financial matters. Although, I think that it would benefit everyone if you listed the expenses related to adopting as a statement of fact. This type of transparency will help people prepare better for the adoption process as well as inform people of your cause.

    Please see this link to create a donation button. You should be able to add it as a widget on your side bar just like your facebook widget. https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_pdn_donate_techview_outside

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since you mention that if it's Gods will then it's Gods invoice or whatnot, what about going to the church and telling them your story, maybe they can do a special car wash, or collection, or bake sale??? I pray that you get the money you need for the adoption.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's frustrating to me that adoptions are so expensive. The kids need the homes, I don't understand why it's been made into this money making enterprise.

    And what's the worst that can happen from talking about it? Sometimes you just have to ask.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Joey. I needed that.

    Rebecca, My church has been WONDERFUL. I just feel a little uncomfortable always going to them. They have held a dinner and dancing night and supported two big garage sales.

    FLB, thanks for speaking up, I can itemize, I may work on a post for next week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maggie, as soon as you get a button let me know and I will put it on my blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adoption is such an important thing . . . and sometimes we just need to reach out. Good for you, my friend. I understand your reluctance, but I think our pride sometimes stands in the way disguised in not wanting to bother others. God's work takes humililty. Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you have a paypal account you can create a code within paypal to copy to your sidebar, you can also use chip in to do the same thing. I had chip in listed for a while but I had a hard time advertising how close or not close we are to our goal through people chipping in. Send me an email and I will walk you through it. I understand how you are feeling but if the funds are needed maybe the Lord is wanting you to ask others for help. I have a hard time with this one too but. Hugs and blessings!

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Willing to share?