06 April 2010

Mom Tip Tuesday: "In these days of want and woe..."*

One of the things, I was known for when I was a young mom, was thrift. Yet with exhaustion to the point of burn out, and having for awhile, the ability to keep up with the Joneses (both the neighbors, and my cravings);  I lost my edge. I mean it.  Totally, just vaguely remember the skills of enjoying life for less.  My biggest problem, is not wanting to cook my food.

Today,  I am combining "No More Faking"with "Mom Tip Tuesday" to bring you a recap of the tips and tricks to catapult us all...  You, My Sensational Seven Followers and me, the former Sultana of Saving, into a new consciousness of what it takes to make the adjustment back to tight times.

1.  Yes, BACK to tight times...If you are still not heeding the warnings that this economy will catch up with you, please do so now.  I had many warnings and like the Grasshopper and the Ants....ignored the warnings and can now look back on all the things I might have done.  I couldn't hear it.
2.  Let's all cook our own food.  Yes, I want to go out, too.  It costs ten times what it would cost you at home.  You have no idea if those people wash their hands.  The portion sizes are out of control, as are the sodium, fat and sugar.
     The thing that bogged me down is that I thought I needed to create a delicious, nutritious, hot meal from scratch every day.  No.  It doesn't have to be all of those things.  At least not all at the same time.  If you toss the chicken nuggets on a cookie sheet and crack open the mac and cheese box and that is all there is, you can scrounge in the freezer for a vegetable tomorrow night.
3.  Make yourself sit down and make a list of things you can do for free at home.  Fun things with the kids, household repair tasks, "You" time.  Put it in a handy place.  Add to it as things come to mind.
4. Commit to quit...driving around to soothe the restless feeling.  You start out just to drop a letter at the post office, and before you know it, everyone is thirsty and hungry and you need a coffee and look at that cute __________ (fill in your fetish here).
5. Don't get exhausted to the point of burnout.  The world is full of things that make us feel guilty if we don't.  Manufactured Sins of Omission.  If you will.  If it feels like the world is working against you, it is time to re-examine all you do.
6.  Invite those kids to join you in this great adventure.  There is no end to the ways they will get on board.  They can help you with your list of free things to do.  They can help put the mysterious powder in the Hamburger Helper.  They can help you keep lights turned off (YES THEY CAN TOO).  Kids totally love being included and doing big things. (If you go really radical and unplug appliances not in use in order to reduce the phantom load, kids love to crawl around under things in the dust to unplug...it is like God designed them for it.)
7. Look to others for ideas, not rules.  You know how I love the rules, but in this case, what empowers is you making your life.  Read up on the best of the thrift makers**:
Miserly Moms    
Debt-Proof Living
Tightwad Gazette

But whatever you do, don't think you have to have the same goals.  Use the principles.  (By all means, do not attempt the garden hose bidet... )  Take what works and keep the rest handy to share with a friend or to use later when you want to take it to the next level.
 8.  Feel blessed.  Think of all the women who have gone before you who have made something out of nothing.  This is its own fabulous.  This is its own strength.  You are healthier because you are not eating restaurant portions.  You are more intelligent because you are watching less TV (because it is enough already with the ads).
9.  See things accurately.  Living simply doesn't mean dull.  Living inexpensively doesn't mean poor.  It means rich.
10. Try new things.  Like...

Kansas Cucumber Salad

1 c. Mayonnaise or Miracle Whip
¼ c. sugar
4 t. vinegar
½ t. dill weed
½ t. salt
4 medium cucumbers, peeled and thinly sliced
3 green onions, chopped

In a large bowl, combine mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar, dill, and salt if desired; mix well.  Add cucumbers and green onions; toss.  Cover and chill at least 1 hour.  Yield: 8 servings.
Thank you for reminding me.

 







*Big Dan Teague...Oh Brother Where Art Thou?
 **This is by NO means an exhaustive list... and these titles are probably available at your local media center.  I like to write in my books. Try the used book store as well.

4 comments:

  1. Love the tips and now you have EIGHT followers!!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I look forward to getting to know your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the money savings tips. I try to save, I really do, and I am doing better about using my credit cards to buy shoes, but I LOVE shopping. Not so much for myself, as I don't really look as cute as I used to, say 10 years ago, in clothes, but for The Dudes, oh yeah. Luckily the fact that I'm too lazy to get dressed and haul them around town with their whining little voices helps me save tons of dough! Thanks for linking up:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reminder to be grateful for what we have! I also love the forum Frugal Village (when I go there, which is rarely... I should be more frugal!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey what happened to the Thank me later post? :^)

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Willing to share?